How do I install an Expert Advisor (EA) on my PC MT4?
Expert Advisors, developed in MetaQuotes Language 4 (MQL 4) are the only ones that can be used on the Vantage FX MT4 platform. Expert Advisors can be downloaded or developed.
Pre-Installed Expert Advisors
The Vantage FX version of MetaTrader 4 (MT4) comes pre-loaded with Expert Advisors. These can be found in the ‘Navigator’ panel. These pre-installed EAs are ready for use without activation required. To use one, just drag it into a blank chart you are not using or have any scripts loaded on.
Under this heading, you will also see a world globe icon indicating the number of how many more Expert Advisors are available online. Double clicking this line will open a listing of EAs you can download from the MQL4 community.
How to manually install an EA?
Some Expert Advisor robots will require manual installation. To manually install an EA robot, complete the following steps:
- Download and save the file
- Identify if the file is archived or in its normal format (right click on the file and select Properties, at the top it will say if it is a MetaQuotes Language 4 file. If it is not, it is most likely an archive)
- If the file is archived or zipped, make sure to unzip the file.
- Now open your Vantage FX MT4 platform.
- At the menu bar, click File > Open Data Folder
- A new window will appear. Double click the ‘MQL4’ folder and then open the ‘Experts’ folder.
- Now go back to where you downloaded your Expert Advisors and drag them into the open ‘Experts’ Folder.
- Once done, close all windows. Restart MetaTrader 4 platform and the EAs should appear in your ‘Navigator’ panel
How to activate an Expert Advisor (EA)
Some Expert Advisors require activation before they are able to work. To activate Expert Advisors:
- Click on Tools > Options
- Select Expert Advisors tab
- Click the ‘Enable Expert Advisors’ and click the ‘Allow Live Trading’. Make sure both check boxes are ticked.
Any Expert Advisor downloaded is done so at the trader’s own risk. Vantage FX do not create their own Expert Advisors and do not take responsibility for third party EA developments.
These instructions apply only to PC MT4 versions post Build 600